[new photo coming soon]
I first fell in love with taco rice whilst in an internet cafe in Osaka. This recipe can be adapted for both meat eaters and vegos. It may not look the most appetising, but is like a giant taco! Mmmm!
1/2 cup of rice
1 cup of kidney beans (pre-cooked or canned)
1/2 packet of taco seasoning
Tablespoon of olive oil
Dash of hot water
1 small pack of corn chips
Few leaves of lettuce
1 avocado (and lemon juice if you wish)
Cheese or soy cheese (optional)
1. Cook the rice in a saucepan or rice cooker.
2. Lightly fry the onion in the olive oil and add the capsicum and kidney beans.
3. Add the taco seasoning (or spices of your choice) and a dash of water.
4. On your plate, break the lettuce leaves into pieces, they will be the base of your taco rice. Cut up your avocado and mash in a bowl, add some lemon juice if you don’t want it to go brown.
5. Fry up an egg.
6. Spoon your rice on top of the lettuce and then add the kidney bean mixture. Now add the avocado mixture and then egg.
7. You’re almost done — you just need to grab a handful of corn chips and crunch them into tiny pieces. Now sprinkle them over your plate.
8. Add cheese or soy cheese if you are so inclined. Eh voila!
An original recipe for Vegematarian, inspired by a dish served at a cafe in Osaka, Japan.