Tomato is not a great friend of a person who has stomach acid issues. So when my Mum gave me this recipe, I was so excited I had to go home and cook it straight away. It is creamy without cream and tasty without tomatoes. And so quick to cook! I dolloped it on to my new love, mung bean fettucini and was truly in heaven. If you need a bit of extra zing, don’t cook the garlic but add it raw to the blender.
1 onion, chopped into small pieces
3 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
3 cups of spinach (I used baby spinach but English would do nicely too)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 zucchini (optional, a Kirsty addition to the recipe)
herbs of your choice (parsley/basil would work really well)
salt and pepper
1. Cook onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil, until golden.
2. Add zucchini (optional) and spinach to the pan.
3. Add the herbs now if you don’t like them strong and season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook until spinach and zucchini are soft and wilted.
5. Add contents of the pan to a mixer or hand blender container.
6. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and blend until the mixture is smooth and not lumpy.
7. Serve on top of gluten free or wheat pasta. Num nums!
Oh Merrilyn, keep those recipes coming!