Soba noodles are made from buckwheat which, despite having ‘wheat’ in its name, is gluten free and not wheat at all. There are some noodles that are 100% buckwheat while others have about 70%. This recipe makes 4 side servings of salad.
270g soba noodles
2 spring onions, julienned
1/2 block of firm tofu, diced and lightly fried in sesame oil until golden brown
1 avocado, cut into small cubes
1 handful of baby spinach, spinach, kale or cabbage
1 handful of bean shoots
1 handful of freshly chopped coriander, vietnamese mint or basil
1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup of soba noodle salad dressing
1 sprinkle of black sesame seeds
1 sprinkle of white sesame seeds
1. Lightly fry the tofu in sesame oil until golden brown.
2. Cook the soba noodles in boiling water, follow packet instructions.
When the noodles come to the boil, add 1 cup of cold water. Bring the noodles to the boil again, add another cup of cold water. This helps make them less starchy. Repeat the process until the noodles are el dente.
3. Drain noodles of water and run under cold water too cool or place in a bowl of icy cold water.
4. In a bowl, mix the spring onions, bean sprouts and fresh herbs of your choice.
5. Add tofu, soba sauce and noodles and stir through gently.
6. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds.
SOURCE: Vegematarian original