This was something I ‘whipped up’ for dinner. My husband and I have decided we like brown lentils the best (controversial!). Here is the recipe for fennel lentil dahl. Serve with Moroccan Carrot Salad (I added lettuce and fresh mint to my salad this time) basmati/brown rice and pappadums.
2 tablespoons ghee or butter
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 cup brown lentils
Pinch of salt
3 cups of water
1 tablespoon of ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, ground
¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, heat the ghee.
2. Add the fennel seeds, cayenne pepper, coriander seeds and garam masala.
3. Saute on medium heat for 2 minutes or till sizzling.
4. Add the lentils, ginger, garlic and salt, stir.
5. Add the water and cook the lentils on a medium heat until the lentils are soft, this will take about 45 minutes.
3. Add the fresh coriander and serve with the salad, rice and pappadums.
Inspired by this great website >> Sharing Plate – Your Cooking Coach http://www.sharingplate.com/brown-lentils-with-fennel-seeds/