I’ve been enjoying watching Rick Stein’s Far Eastern Odyssey on the ABC so prepare yourselves for an onslaught of South East Asian recipes. This recipe is based on a dish he cooked in Thailand with chicken.
For the tempeh…
1 packet of tempeh, cut into 1/2 an inch cubes
2 pieces of lemongrass
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup of thinly sliced capsicum
3 tablespoons of Tamari or wheat-free soy sauce
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
4 green spring onions, chopped finely
For the salad…
1 packet of medium-sized rice noodles
1 medium lebanese cucumber
1 handful of fresh mint
2 handful of fresh coriander
1 handful of fresh bean shoots
1. Remove the tough outer layer from the lemongrass and discard. Finely chop the remaining inner section and set aside. I saw Rick Stein crush the outer layer with his knife to do this.
2. Heat the oil in a large frypan or wok over medium heat until hot. Add the tempeh and stir-fry for about four minutes, it should look brown and crispy on the outside.
3. Add the bell pepper and lemongrass and stir-fry for one minute.
4. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and green onions. Stir to combine.
5. Make the noodle salad by cooking the rice noodles in water over a low heat until they become soft. Once cooked, drain noodles and rinse under cold water to cool.
6. Cut up the other ingredients and add to a lovely salad bowl. Add noodles and combine.
5. Place tempeh on the noodle salad. Now you are ready to eat your delicious creation.
To travel cooking shows, they are truly some of the best TV viewing around.