A chilly night equals a craving for warm ricey goodness. This risotto serves 2-3 hungry people.
1 small butternut pumpkin (or pumpkin of your choice), cut into cubes
2 glugs of olive oil
1 onion/leek, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely diced
250g aborio rice
3 to 4 cups vegetable stock
½ bunch dill, lightly chopped
2 handfuls of spinach
1/2 block of goats, parmesan or vegan cheese, grated or cubed
Handful of fresh rocket
1. Pour a few tablespoons of olive oil into a large saucepan and heat over medium flame.
2. Add onion/leek, garlic and celery and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. Add the pumpkin pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Turn up the heat and add the risotto rice, stirring frequently to coat in the olive oil. The rice should change to be slightly clear in appearance.
5. Start adding the heated stock, one ladle at a time, giving the rice a good stir and allowing the stock to be absorbed before adding the next ladle.
6. Just before adding the last ladle add the cooked pumpkin and gently stir through. Check to see if the rice is cooked, if it’s still really crunchy you may need to add an extra dash of water.
7. Add the spinach and cheese. Stir to combine ingredients.
8. Take saucepan off heat. Put on the lid and let it stand for 10 minutes or so. When the risotto is cooked, it will be soft but still have a little chew.