My friend Claire is such a great cook. She isn’t afraid to try new things and has a knack for combining ingredients so they are at their most delicious. On a cold Winter’s night, she made this meal for me and it was just what my soul needed.
Amish Corn Pikelets Ingredients (serves 2):
Kernels from 4 corn cobs
1/2 small red chilli, seeded & finely sliced
2 heaped tablespoons of plain flour
2 eggs, separated
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Amish Corn Pikelets Instructions:
1. Mix together the corn, chilli, flour and egg yolks until well combined.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Then gently fold into the corn mixture.
3. Heat a thin layer of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and cook large spoonfuls of the mixture in batches until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper towels.
Baked Eggs Ingredients (serves 2):
Vegetable oil, to grease
1 cup of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup of spinach, roughly chopped
1 brown onion, thinly diced
Cheese if you so wish
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Baked Eggs Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Precook mushrooms, spinach and onion (individually) by lightly sauteing in a frypan. These would be yummy if you cooked them with parsley or a herb of your choice.
3. Brush two 125ml (1/2-cup) capacity ovenproof dishes with oil to lightly grease.
4. Line each dish with sauteed ingredients of your choice.
5. Crack two eggs into each dish.
6. If you aren’t a dairy-free freak like me, sprinkle with feta or cheese.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
Many thanks go to Claire, Masterchef to her friends!
Oh, and she borrowed the Amish Corn Pikelets recipe from Ian Hewitson (yes, he cooked something that didn’t involve heaps of oil or butter!) http://www.hueyskitchen.com.au/recipes/3757/amish-corn-pikelets