I’m someone who gives in to food temptation… regularly. These nut balls keep me from reaching for something a little less healthy. There are lots of varieties of nut balls out there. Feel free to add your favourite ingredients. This recipe makes about 15 golf balls.
1/2 cup of almonds
1/2 cup of hazelnuts
1/4 cup of pecans
1/4 cup of walnuts
1/4 cup of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds mix) or ground linseed
1/4 cup sulfur-free dried apricots, dates or figs
1 tablespoon of tahini
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
coconut oil (adjust according to instructions below)
1/4 cup of dessicated coconut
Optional – 2 tablespoons of protein powder (I use organic Whey Protein Isolate or Pea Protein)
1. In a blender, mix all the nuts and apricots/dates/figs together until they are ground finely.
2. Add the LSA, tahini and vanilla essence. If you want to add protein powder, put it in too. Continue to blend the ingredients.
3. Add coconut oil to the mixture, one teaspoon at a time and blend until it thickens into a paste.
4. Put some dessicated coconut into a shallow bowl, ready to roll the balls in.
5. Take a teaspoon of mixture and roll it into a ball with the palms of your hand. You may want to put some coconut oil or water on your palms so the ball doesn’t stick.
6. Roll the balls in the dessicated coconut.
7. Eat straight away or store in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.
SOURCE: Vegematarian original, inspired by many