If you don’t want to use cashew cream in place of creamy sauces for savoury dishes, here’s a good béchamel sauce recipe that is dairy and gluten free.
4 tablespoons of dairy-free margarine
2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour
1 cup soy or nut milk
1 handful of soy cheese, grated (optional)
1 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, melt the dairy-free margarine.
2. Slowly add the flour and cook for one minute, stirring the whole time so the sauce doesn’t stick or burn.
3. Remove from heat and gradually add milk, continue to stir for 1 minute. You may need to add less/more milk and flour depending on how your mixture thickens. Stir in the nutmeg if you wish.
4. Return to heat and stir until the mixture thickens.
5. Stir in grated cheese (optional) and serve with delicious things like lasagne or pasta bake.
SOURCE: Mum taught me how to make béchamel sauce when I first learnt to cook.