Every year, go away for the weekend to our favourite bush property with family and friends. The weekend’s tradition is to have a themed feast on Saturday night. The theme was Turkish this year. This spinach dish, made by Peter and Nancy, blew me away. I never thought spinach could taste so good!
2 bunches of fresh spinach, washed & finely chopped
1 medium onion, diced
4 fresh tomatoes, diced (optional)
1 lemon, freshly squeezed
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
pepper to taste
salt to taste
If you’d like to add some carbs to this dish: add 1/2 a cup of rice and 1/4 water to this dish
1. Rinse and wash spinach very well so all dirt is removed.
2. In a large pot heat oil, add onions and saute until soft.
3. Add the garlic, tomatoes, lemon juice and spinach.
4. Reduce to low heat and if you’ve added rice heat until the rice is cooked.
5. Eat as is or serve on a bed of rice, quinoa or your favourite grain.
Thanks to the efforts of Peter and Nancy!