Today we hosted a BBQ to celebrate Eamon and Lou’s presence in Australia. I decided to make 2 dips and buy 2 dips. I made the dip recipe that keeps on giving — Nohut Ezmesi (Turkish Chickpea Dip) — and decided to accompany it with Carrot, Orange and Cumin Dip. I was surprised how delicious this dip was, great bright orange colour and not too overpowering flavour. A winner!
3 small carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, halved and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/4 of a cup of fresh orange juice
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place carrot in a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water.
2. Steam, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
3. Remove carrots from heat.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
5. Add the onion, garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
6. Place carrot, onion mixture and orange juice in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth.
7. Season with pepper and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
Taken directly from the Taste.com.au website http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2332/three+dips