I had my lovely colleagues over for a BBQ dinner last night and wanted to make some fun salads. I decided to recreate this old classic and it was a winner!
1 large butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and cut into wedges
2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup
4 cups of baby spinach leaves
1 cup of toasted pine nuts
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
Optional extras: sultanas, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Place the pumpkin in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and honey/maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss until the pumpkin is well coated.
3. Place in a single layer of pumpkin on the lined tray. Bake, turning once during cooking, for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Remove pumpkin from oven and cool for about 30 minutes.
5. Place the pumpkin, spinach and pine nuts in a large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl or cup, combine 2 teaspoons of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to make dressing.
7. Dribble dressing over salad and serve immediately.
I remembered how to make this salad with the help of http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14443/pumpkin+spinach+salad
I also ‘borrowed’ their photo as mine didn’t work out.