Brown rice porridge is a great alternative to oats if you’re gluten-free or not a fan of traditional porridge. The rule is one cup of rice flakes to one cup of liquid. This recipe serves 2 for breakfast.
1 cup brown rice flakes
3/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of soy or nut milk
2 tablespoons of LSA (Linseed Sunflower Almond mix – optional)
1 large granny smith apples, chopped into fine pieces
1 large pear, chopped into fine pieces
1 tablespoon of berries (I used blueberries)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of allspice
1/4 cup of water
Topping suggestions: 1 tablespoon of coconut flakes, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, 1 handful of roughly chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts
1. Poach the fruit: Add the fruit, berries, cinnamon and allspice to a saucepan on medium heat.
2. Stir for 1 minute and then add water.
3. Cover saucepan with a lid and simmer on a low heat. Keep an eye on the saucepan to make sure the pot doesn’t go dry.
4. Make the porridge: Add water and brown rice flakes to a saucepan.
5. Bring to the boil and lower flame once the pot is bubbling.
6. Add soy or nut milk and continue to stir until rice flakes are tender.
7. Remove from heat. Add LSA and stir so everything is mixed in.
8. Serve: Add the porridge to the bowl and then the topping
SOURCE: Vegematarian original