Pumpkin and lentil salad will wow your mates at any BBQ.
2 small red onions, diced into smallish pieces
1 tablespoon of honey (preferably not heat treated)
1 dessertspoon of boiling water
1/4 of a jap pumpkin, diced into small pieces
1 1/2 cups of cooked lentils or 1 can if you’re feeling lazy (use any type of lentil but red)
1 handful of fresh coriander
1 tablespoon of tahini
Garnish with your favourite nuts and seeds (I used almonds)
1. Pre-c00k your lentils or get your hands on some organic canned lentils.
2. In a small bowl, add the hot and the boiling water. Stir until honey has dissolved.
3. Add onions to the bowl and soak for as long as you can (at least an hour if possible).
4. Cut up the pumpkin and cook in boiling water until a fork can stab through a pumpkin piece (you want it cooked but not too soft).
5. Drain pumpkin in a colander or sieve, run under cold water and leave to cool.
6. Cut up the coriander and add to bowl.
7. Drain the onion from the honey-water BUT keep the honey-water for later (don’t let it go down the sink).
8. In a frypan, cook the onions over a medium heat until they have carmelised. Add a dash of honey-water if too dry.
9. Add the pumpkin, onions and lentils to the bowl. Stir.
10. Make up the salad dressing by combining a teaspoon of tahini with 1/4 cup of honey-water.
11. Pour dressing over salad and serve with a sprinkle of your favourite nuts and seeds.
SOURCE: Vegematarian original