Omurice is the Japanese answer to a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s fried rice wrapped or topped with an omelette, which is sometimes drizzled with tomato sauce or gravy. This recipe makes 2 decent sized meals.
1 cup of cooked rice (white or brown, it’s up to you)
4 large eggs
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup of corn kernels (I use fresh off the cob but canned works too)
1/4 cup of capsicum (green or red), diced
1 handful of peas (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of pasata or tomato puree
1 1/2 tablespoons of your favourite tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pre-cook the rice so it’s ready to go.
2. Beat 2 large eggs and lightly season with salt and pepper. Put aside.
3. Heat a large frypan/wok and add sesame oil. Saute the onion and minced garlic until brown.
4. Add the vegetables and saute until soft.
5. Add passata/tomato puree and stir for 1 minute.
6. Add the bowl of rice to the wok/frypan and stir well.
7. Season with salt/pepper to your taste.
8. Continue stirring on a low heat until the rice starts to stick to the pan. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
9. Clean out your frypan or wok and put back on the stove on medium heat. Coat with oil.
10. Add half the beaten eggs into the frypan/wok and twist around so the egg is spread thinly across the pan. The egg will cook almost instantly, and once done take the pan off the heat.
11. Leave the egg in the pan and spoon the rice mixture to its centre.
12. Bring the edges of the egg together, the rice doesn’t have to be completely sealed .
13. Carefully flip the egg wrapped rice onto a plate. Drizzle with tomato sauce and eat steaming hot.
SOURCE: Adapted from recipe by Mama Loli