Indian and Greek chefs often add lemon to their rice. Now that I’ve discovered how delicious it tastes, there’s no turning back! This recipe makes about 2 cups of cooked rice.
1 lemon, grate the zest and juice the lemon
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
3 cardamom pods
1 cup of basmati rice
2 cups of water
1. In a large saucepan (or your rice cooker), heat up oil/ghee on a medium heat.
2. Turn down the flame and add the lemon zest, mustard seeds and cardamom pods. Stir for a minute to release the flavour of the spices.
3. Add the rice and stir well.
4. Add the water and lemon juice. Bring rice to a simmer, put on a lid and cook until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
5. If you wish, add an extra splash of lemon juice to serve.
SOURCE: Adapted from recipe by Guy Fieri on the Food Network