My Dad gave us more vegetables from his garden (oh the joy of an everlasting supply of freshly grown vegies that taste amazing). This time I scored a few beetroot and had a sweet potato in the cupboard from the CERES Organic Market. So why not roast them up? Tis Winter after all! This recipe serves 2 (as a side dish).
3 beetroot, cut into quarters (Dad’s beetroot were medium-sized)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into large round chunks
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 handful of pine nuts or walnuts
Goats fetta (optional, I find sheep and goats dairy products don’t upset my system like cow products do and are OK in small doses)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Rinse outside of beetroot (there’s no need to peel them). Prepare beetroot and sweet potato.
3. Mix in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place beetroot and sweet potato pieces on baking tray. Sprinkle with pine nuts or walnuts.
5. Roast beetroot and sweet potato for 30 minutes or so. They are ready when you can poke a fork through them.
6. Remove from oven and serve. Top with a few small pieces of goats fetta if you so choose but it’s delicious just as it is!
Serve cold if you’d like it as a salad, it’s great hot or cold.
An original recipe for Vegematarian.