Carmelised onion jam. Enough said!
This recipe makes approximately 2-3 cups.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
600g of brown onions, thinly sliced
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (this is gentler than balsamic)
1/2 a cup of cold water
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until golden. Use a low heat so the onion doesn’t burn.
3. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Add vinegar and cold water. Bring to the boil.
5. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thick.
6. Eat warm with your favourite savoury treats, or cool and eat later. Will keep in the fridge for a few days in a tightly sealed container or in the pantry if stored in a steralised jar.