My mum has been bringing these delicious orange and almond flourless muffins to family celebrations. They’re a real winner and you just need a bit of time to cook the oranges. This recipe makes approx 12 muffins.
6 eggs (or egg replacement equivalent)
180g of white sugar
180g of ground almonds
1 teaspoon of baking powder
Butter or dairy-free margarine for greasing the tin
1. Wash oranges and place whole in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Yes, I know this seems crazy but stay with it. Boil the oranges until soft, it’ll take about 1 hour.
2. Cut the oranges in half and remove any pips.
3. Blend the oranges to a creamy pulp in a food processor, skin on.
4. Heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
5. Beat eggs and sugar together until well-mixed.
6. Add orange pulp, ground almonds and baking powder. Stir.
7. Spoon into a well- greased muffin tin.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Let sit in the pan to cool (they’re fragile when they’re warm).
9. Serve warm or cold.
SOURCE: My mum