I take great joy in the simple things – like picking fruit from the trees in our backyard. We get so many plums over the Summer that we give them away by the bucket load. This recipe means we can eat plums all year round.
450g plums, de-stoned and halved
40g caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
Juice of 1 orange or lemon
1. Wash the plums and prepare them by removing their stone and chopping them in half.
2. Add the plums to a large saucepan and turn up the heat.
3. Stir in a cinnamon stick, 150ml of water and the orange or lemon juice. Plums release a lot of juice so you may find that 150ml of water is all you need.
4. Let the mixture heat up so it’s bubbling and then turn down to medium-heat.
5. Stir in the sugar. Some plums may not need sugar at all but our blood plums become very tart when you cook them.
6. Turn the heat down low and simmer for at least 30 mins. You’ll need to check the pan every so often, give things a stir and add water if the mixture is drying out.
7. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge to eat in the next 5 days and/or the freezer to eat during the year.
SOURCE: My nana and mum taught me this recipe