I’ve never been a big fan of tabouleh because of the tummy ache cracked wheat gives me post-meal. But this little gem has been cooked in our household (and at my parent’s BBQs) for the past few years and my love of this dish has grown. This recipe makes 1 large bowl.
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 -2 medium tomatoes, cut into cubes
1/2 red onion or 2-3 spring/green onions, finely chopped
1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into cubes
1 large bunch parsley, rinsed well and finely chopped
1 handful of fresh mint, rinsed well and finely chopped
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup of flaxseed or olive oil
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves of crushed garlic would also be a welcome addition
1. Cook the quinoa (to learn how to cook quinoa, visit http://www.noshtopia.com/2008/05/how-to-cook-qui.html)
2. Cut up the tabouleh ingredients – parsley, mint, tomato, onion and cucumber.
3. Cool the quinoa by rinsing under cold water and then combine with salad ingredients in a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Mix well.
5. Pour over salad about 30 minutes before serving for the full flavour effect!
An original for Vegematarian.