You know when it’s Summer and it’s hot and you are hungry but you don’t feel like eating anything hot because that will just make you feel hotter? This salad is your answer!
1 large block of firm tofu)
2 tablespoons of cornflour (aka corn starch)
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 large mango, cut into chunks
1-2 avocadoes, cut into chunks/slices
5-6 lettuce leaves, roughly torn into pieces
2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
1. Wrap tofu block with a kitchen towel and set between two dinner plates or chopping boards. Place a large weight on top to press down (I used a recipe book) so that the liquid is pressed out of the tofu (leave for about 20 minutes).
2. In the meantime, make the dressing by combining the chili sauce, vinegar, ginger and soy sauce. Set aside.
3. Cut pressed tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
4. Toss in cornstarch until evenly coated.
5. Heat canola oil over medium high heat in a large frypan.
6. Place tofu in oil and cook (I recommend doing a few at a time, don’t crowd the pan). Turn occasionally until cubes are lightly browned. Remove to paper towels and pat off excess oil.
7. In a large bowl, lightly toss together lettuce, mango and avocado. Add tofu and pour over dressing. Serve.
Thanks to Donna and her ‘Apron Strings’ blog — http://www.apronstringsblog.com/appetizers/meatless-monday-a-light-cool-refreshing-summer-salad-crispy-tofu-cubes-with-mango-and-avocado-in-sweet-chili-sauce/