Combining silverbeet with orange and currants is a great way to eat your greens. This recipe makes 4 side dish servings.
2 tablespoons of currants
1/4 cup of orange juice
1 bunch of silverbeet, trimmed and washed
2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons slivered or flaked almonds
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat up a heavy based frypan, no oil needed. Turn down to medium or low heat and add the almonds.
2. Continue to stir the until they turn golden brown. Watch carefully as it’s easy to burn them.
3. Remove almonds from the pan and set aside to cool.
4. Separate silverbeet leaves from stems and wash. Chop stems. Roughly tear leaves.
5. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
6. Add garlic and silverbeet stems. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until stems are just tender.
7. Add currants and orange juice. Stir to combine.
8. Add silverbeet leaves. Stir ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted.
9. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with almonds. Serve warm.
SOURCE: Adapted from Claire Brookman’s recipe at Taste.com.au