This creamy baked dish has a great combo of mushrooms and brown rice. This recipe feeds about 4 people, served with salad or roast vegies.
3 cups of brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced about 1 cm thick
2 cups of another type of mushroom – I used oyster but porcini, enoki or shiitake would be nice too.
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 large free-range eggs
1 cup of dairy-free sour cream or dairy sour cream
1/3 cup cheese or soy cheese, grated
2 tablespoons of fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of gluten-free breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF).
2. Precook the brown rice, as per package instructions.
3. Choose your casserole dish. I used a heat-proof dish that you can cook on the stove and then place in the oven. If you don’t have one of these, grease a medium-large baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
4. In a heat-proof casserole dish or a large fry-pan, heat a few splashes of olive oil. Once the pan is hot, add the onion and mushrooms and saute with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper.
5. Stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned.
6. Stir in the garlic, 2 tablespoons of tarragon (leave 1 tablespoon for later) and thyme and cook for another minute.
7. Remove from heat and add the cooked brown rice to the mixture. Leave to rest.
8. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vegan sour cream.
9. Add the egg and sour cream mixture to the mushrooms and rice (you may need to do this in a large bowl if you are using a fry-pan).
Stir until well combined.
10. If it isn’t already in your baking dish, pour into your prepared dish.
11. Sprinkle with soy cheese, cover with a lid or foil. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
12. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes more until the mixture is golden along the edges.
13. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of chopped tarragon.
14. Eat warm by itself or with some roast vegies.
SOURCE: Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks