I make no secret of my love of mushrooms. And they are delicious boiled. Boiled? Yes! Boiled! Add them to your favourite antipasto platter or salad.
500g fresh mushrooms, stalks removed
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (extra required if baking)
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red onion, finely diced
2 packed tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
2 packed tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove stalks from mushrooms but don’t slice them further (keep them whole).
2. Boil some water in a saucepan and add 3 teaspoons of salt.
3. Add the mushrooms, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Drain the mushrooms and let cool.
5. Combine all the remaining ingredients (including 1/2 teaspoon of salt) in a bowl and mix well.
6. Add the mushrooms to the mix and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
7. Remove from refrigerator 10 minutes. These mushrooms taste best at room temperature.
These mushrooms keep in the fridge for a day or two in a tightly sealed container.
Or place mushrooms in a hot sterilised jar and they will keep for about 4 months in the pantry.