When the zucchini (courgette) plants take over my garden, I whip up a batch of this chutney/relish. This recipe fills 3 x 250ml jars (750ml).
5 cups of zucchini, chopped and unpeeled
2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 large red capsicum, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons of kosher salt
1 cup of caster sugar
1 1/4 cups of white wine or apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon of ground turmeric
2 teaspoons of celery seed
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Sterilise your jars before you begin.
2. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, onion, pepper and salt. Stir well.
3. Leave for a few minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly under water and drain off liquid.
5. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
6. Add zucchini mixture and simmer for 10 minutes. If you like your chutney or relish smooth in texture, blend the mixture at this point before adding to the jars.
7. Ladle (while hot) into warm jars, leaving space at the top of jar for the vacuum (about a thumbnail’s space).
8. Screw lids on to jars and place jars in a saucepan filled with hot water for 10 minutes (water level should go up to nearly the top of the jar). This will help cook the contents of the jar and create a vacuum.
9. Remove jars from saucepan and cool before storing.
Keeps for up to 4 months in the pantry. Refrigerate after opening.