Homemade Ginger Ale is refreshingly tasty and a little bit fancy. Plus you can control the sugar content, unlike store bought drinks. This recipe fills four generous glasses.
1 cup peeled, finely chopped ginger
2 cups water
1 cup sugar (caster would be best) or sweetener alternative
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
6 cups of soda water
1 lime, juiced
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Add ginger and cinnamon stick.
3. Reduce heat to medium low and let ginger sit in the simmering water for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let saucepan sit for 20 minutes.
5. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Discard ginger and cinnamon pieces. You’re ‘ginger water’ is now ready.
6. In a separate saucepan, make a sugar syrup by dissolving 1 cup of sugar (or sugar alternative equivalent) into 1 cup of boiling water.
7. Leave the saucepan on the lowest heat (it shouldn’t be bubbling) for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
9. In each glass, combine 1/2 cup of ‘ginger water’, 1/3 cup of sugar syrup, 1/2 cup of soda water, 1-2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1-2 wedges of lime. And drink.
SOURCE: Adapted from Elise Bauer’s recipe on Simply Recipes