Wild rice’s nutty flavour is brought out by mushrooms in a risotto. This recipe serves about 4 people and is more filling than it looks.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
5oz of mushrooms – I used Portobello and Swiss Brown
2 1/2 cups of wild rice
7 cups of vegetable stock
Your favourite herbs – I used a handful of parsley and thyme
I also threw in a handful of kale because I wanted to add a bit of ‘green’
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
2. Add the leeks and sauté until soft.
3. Add the garlic, mushrooms and herbs. Make sure your pan is hot and stir for a few minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
4. Rinse the wild rice a few times with water to get rid of any debris.
5. Pour the wild rice to the pan with mushrooms, garlic and herbs.
6. Turn down to medium heat and add the vegetable stock bit by bit, stirring between pours.
7. Turn down to low heat and put a lid on the risotto. It will take about 30 minutes to cook. Stir it every 5-10 minutes. Add water or stock if the mixture starts to dry in the pan.
8. Serve hot with your favourite salad.
SOURCE: Vegetamatarian original