Beetroot in a curry? Oh Kirsty, you so crazy! This recipe feeds about 4 people if you serve it with rice.
2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons of crushed cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Coconut oil, ghee or cooking oil of your choice
5 large beetroot, peeled and cut into small chunks (you might want to wear an apron and gloves)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
1/2 cup of shredded coconut (I used dried but fresh would be even better)
1/3 cup of water
1 handful of fresh coriander or herb of your choice
Cooked brown rice or basmati
1. Heat a large saucepan on a medium flame.
2. Add the cumin, turmeric and cinnamon and stir. Add in the ginger and continue to stir so that the spices release their aroma.
3. Add a few tablespoons of oil and stir through.
4. Now add the chopped beetroot and sweet potato. Stir and coat them in the spices.
5. Throw in the shredded coconut and keep stirring.
6. Now add the water and bring to the boil.
7. Turn down the heat, pop on the lid and let the ingredients simmer. The goal is to soften the beetroot and sweet potato. Keep checking the pot and add more water if needed so ingredients don’t dry out. Cook for about 20 minutes.
8. Cook your rice while the curry is bubbling.
9. Serve warm on rice.
SOURCE: Vegematarian original