Boring rice be gone! You can give rice so many flavours. I’m loving ginger at the moment so here is a fantastic ginger basmati rice recipe (which I’ve also made with brown rice). This recipe makes about 2 cups of cooked rice.
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 inch piece of fresh ginger
6 green cardamom pods
1 pinch of organic sea salt
1. Wash and rinse the rice a few times to get rid of excess starch.
2. Peel the ginger and cut it into smaller pieces. Use a bit of force to ‘smash’ the pieces so they release their flavour.
4. Put the rice into a rice cooker or use heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid to cook the rice.
5. Add the water, ginger, cardamom pods, and salt. Give it a good stir.
6. Bring the ingredients to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
7. Cook gently for about 10 minutes. You will see holes poking through the rice and most of the water should be absorbed.
8. Let the rice stand off the heat, covered, for about 5 minutes.
9. Remove the ginger and cardamom. Fluff the rice with a fork.
SOURCE: Tyler Florence via the Food Network