The kale in my garden grows quickly. I was running out of ideas to cook with it… until I found this gem on Spoon With Me. The original recipe leaves the kale raw, while I like to blanche it so it’s easier to digest. It’s up to you! This recipe serves 3 to 4 people.
1 large bunch of kale, rinsed and dried
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, plus more to taste
6 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
Juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons (plus 1 extra lemon, for garnish)
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup of toasted pinenuts
1 packet of pasta (I use gluten-free)
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan or vegan cheese (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions.
2. When the pasta has finished cooking, drain and set aside for a minute or so to cool slightly.
3. Chop the kale into 1/2 inch ribbons and put in a large bowl.
4. On a cutting board, mince the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and smash into a paste using a fork or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer the garlic paste to a small bowl.
5. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Whisk together until combined.
6. In a large frypan, add a few splashes of water. Toss in the kale and blanch until the kale has wilted. Remove from the heat and let the pan cool.
7. Pour the dressing into the frypan with the kale and toss well until the kale is thoroughly coated.
8. Add the pasta to the kale, tossing well to combine.
9. Garnish individual servings of pasta with an extra squeeze of lemon juice, pine nuts, a light sprinkling of kosher salt, and an extra splash of olive oil. Sprinkle with your favourite parmesan or vegan cheese (optional).
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SOURCE: Adapted from the recipe at Spoon With Me