If you feel like getting creative, roast up some vegetables and create a fancy looking stack. You can make your stack anyway you like, this recipe will help you replicate the photo above and makes two large stacks.
8 leaves of lettuce
1/2 a large eggplant, cut into 0.5cm rounds
1/2 a Lebanese cucumber (or English cucumber will do), cut into thin slivers
1 large fresh tomato, cut into thin rounds
6 large mushrooms, cut into thin slivers
1/2 a large sweet potato, cut into thin rounds
1 handful of fresh basil or herb of your choice
2 handfuls of fresh sprouts
Coconut oil or olive oil for greasing two large baking trays
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. Cut up the eggplant and place in a bowl with a few sprinkles of salt. Stir through and leave to sit for a few minutes. This salting process removes the bitterness.
3. While the eggplant is salting, cut up the mushrooms and sweet potato.
4. Grease a large baking tray with coconut or olive oil and place the sweet potato as one layer.
5. Bake the sweet potato until it has soften and starting to turn golden on top. Usually this is about 10-15 minutes. You may need to turn over the pieces halfway through the baking.
6. While the sweet potato is baking, wash the salt off the eggplant pieces and pat dry.
7. Grease another baking tray and arrange the mushrooms and eggplant. Pop in the oven about 10 minutes. The vegetables are ready when they are soften and start to brown.
8. Remove everything from the oven, place vegetables on plates to cool.
9. Now’s it’s time to make your stack. Start by arranging 4 lettuce leaves as your base.
10. Place the eggplant on the lettuce.
11. Place the cucumber on your eggplant.
11. Place the tomato on your cucumber and the mushrooms on your tomato.
12. Place the sweet potato on the mushrooms and a few nice herb leaves on top of the mushrooms.
13. To finish off, sprinkle some sprouts around the edge of your plate.
14. Your stack is ready to eat, hot or cold. A bit of extra olive oil drizzled on top would be nice too.
SOURCE: Vegematarian original