This Stephanie Alexander recipe serves approximately 5 as a side dish or 2 as a main.
4 medium-to-large beetroots, or 18 small beetroots
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
8 stalks of dill
Handful of baby spinach
Cloves of garlic (optional)
Soft goats cheese or fetta (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF).
2. Wash the beetroot very well – make sure all the soil and grit has been removed.
3. Cut off the leafy tops/stalks and the root ends.
4. Dry the beetroot with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper.
5. If you are using large beetroot, cut into large wedges for easy cooking (you might want to wear gloves during the peeling process). If you are using small beetroot, leave intact.
6. Place the wedges or small beetroot on to a baking dish.
7. Combine the dressing – mix the oil, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl.
8. Drizzle the dressing over the beetroot and gently shake the tray so that each piece is coated. Add some cloves of garlic if you wish to add extra flavour.
9. Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil or a lid and bake for 20-45 minutes until tender. Test if the beetroot is cooked by poking them with a thin skewer – should slip through easily.
10. While the beetroot is cooking, rinse the dill and dry by rolling in a tea towel. Chop the dill roughly (stems and leaves).
11. Remove the cooked beetroot from the oven. If cooking small beetroot, wait until they are cool and slip off their skin (you might want to use gloves).
12. Place the beetroot in a salad bowl and sprinkle with the dill. Add baby spinach and/or cheese. Drizzle the juices from the baking tray over the top.
SOURCE: Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Cooking with Kids by Stephanie Alexander