I made this delicious gluten-free Swedish Apple Pie for a Eurovision party. “Appelpaj” is a bit like apple crumble and can be made using gluten-free flour, it just needs an extra egg to help hold everything together. This recipe makes approximately 4 servings.
4 or 5 medium apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup of caster sugar (reduce the sugar if the apples are already sweet)
3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
3/4 cup butter or dairy-free margarine
1 cup of gluten-free plain (all purpose) flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (370ºF).
2. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan or glass pie plate with some dairy-free margarine or butter.
3. Peel, core and slice apples.
4. Fill pie pan/plate three-quarters full with apple slices.
5. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon and the nutmeg. Mix well and sprinkle over the apple slices in the pie pan/plate.
6. In a medium saucepan and on medium heat, melt butter/margarine. Remove from heat before it burns.
7. Add remaining sugar, flour and egg to the saucepan.
8. Stir to mix well with the butter.
9. Pour flour mixture and evenly spread it over apples in the pie plan/plate.
10. Bake for 30-45 minutes. It’s ready when the topping has cooked and turned golden brown.
11. Serve hot.
SOURCE: Donna Lilacflower and Katzen via Food.com