We grow an abundance of zucchinis in our vegetable garden during Summer. It must be our sandy soil. This cake reminds me of a carrot cake… moist, rich and delicious. No icing needed.
2 cups of gluten-free or wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest
3-4 medium sized zucchinis
1 cup of chopped pistachios, walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup of sultanas, raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Grease 9 x 12cm or 9 x 13cm baking pan using oil or butter.
3. Grate the zucchini (skin on). Place the grated zucchini in a sieve and use your hands to push out the excess liquid from the vegetable. This will stop the cake from being too sloppy. When you’re done, you should have about 2 cups of grated zucchini.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
5. In a mixer, beat the 3 eggs on high speed until frothy. Lower the speed and add the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, and lemon zest.
6. Add the flour mixture, a third at a time.
7. Add the zucchini and chopped nuts and/or dried fruit.
8. Pour mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SOURCE: Adapted from recipe by Elise Bauer on Simply Recipes